(Note: this post does not follow the normal 200-word word limit of this blog)
First up – I’ve been pretty slack when it comes to posting these awards. This is mostly because I’m still venturing my way into the blogosphere (if that’s even a word), and partly because it was basically impossible to do an awards post within 200 words. I’ve ended up just deciding to not worry about the latter at all. Awards and details after the break…
I’m thankful for being nominated for The Liebster Award twice – from jpthorn at the Horror Booth and Lauren at mykindofmovie. This award is for blogs with under 200 followers, which seems like a great way to bring attention to great writing that might otherwise go under peoples’ radar. The Liebster Award has the following conditions:
So the rules state that the receivers of the Liebster Award must:
1. List 11 Random Facts about yourself.
2. Answer the questions that were asked of you (by the blogger that nominated you).
3. Nominate 11 other blogs for the Liebster Blog Award and include link to their blog.
4. Notify the bloggers of their award.
5. Ask the award winners 11 questions to answer once they accept the award.
Given I’ve been asked two different sets of 11 questions, I guess I’ll answer both sets – just one set of facts, though.
11 Random Facts:
- I’m Australian – born in a small town called Ararat, now living in Brisbane.
- I’m a secondary school Maths/Physics teacher, a job I absolutely love (though if I could work some English in and talk about books and films as well, it’d be even better).
- For much of my childhood I desperately wanted to be a fiction author – I actually submitted a number of short stories to journals and magazines when I was only 12.
- I’ve pretty much given up on fiction now, but I still hope to one day be able to actually paid for writing criticism (though I have a ways to go, writing-wise).
- I’m getting married to my partner of over five years next year.
- I’m a competitive Magic: the Gathering player (though less so now than a few years ago).
- I’m an obsessive DVD/Blu-Ray collector and spend far too much money on films/TV shows I am unlikely to watch more than once. When I own a house it’s a requirement that I have a proper library – a wall full of movies, a wall full of books.
- I own over fifty neckties. Many of them are hand-me-downs, admittedly.
- I love to try different foods – just tried ox tongue for the first time last night (it was okay).
- I’m becoming increasingly frustrated with the delayed cinematic release dates on Australian films – especially horror, which often isn’t released here at all. It’s annoying to see everyone blogging about films and having to wait weeks to even see them!
- I’m odd in my music consumption – I’ll go months without really listening to much new, then I’ll suddenly binge and become obsessed with hearing every new album on Spotify.
Answer the Questions (jpthorn):
1. What is your favorite film of all time?
For a long, long time it was Fight Club. I still love that film, but if I had to pick something now it’d probably be Mulholland Drive, with Taxi Driver and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind close contenders.
2. Who is your favorite author?
Answering going on the criteria of “great writer” rather than necessarily “has written my favourite books,” probably Kurt Vonnegut. I’m still educating myself on a lot of great literature, so I wouldn’t be surprised to have this answer change over the next couple years.
3. What is the last great movie you watched?
Most recently seen – Goodfellas. Watched it about a week ago with my partner’s sister, who’d never seen it before.
4. What is the last great book you read?
5. Which of your own blog posts is your favorite and please provide a link to it.
One of my earliest posts: Refused Concert – Eatons Hill Hotel, Brisbane (11 November 2012). It’s not the kind of post I usually make, more of an encapsulation of an experience than a critical appraisal, but I felt that it captured what was so special about what was one of my favourite live shows of all time. Though having Rian Johnson respond to my post about Breaking Bad (on Twitter) was pretty great, too.
6. What is your favorite type of music?
Post-punk – Wire’s Pink Flag is my favourite album of all time, but there’s plenty of other great post-punk acts I can’t get enough of (Gang of Four and Joy Division in particular).
7. Who are your Top 5 favorite film directors?
David Fincher, Sergio Leone, David Lynch, Martin Scorsese, Quentin Tarantino (yeah, a bunch of white guys. Boring, I know)
8. Do you follow any sports and what is your favorite sports team?
I only really follow cricket actively (so, Australia’s test team, naturally). I don’t mind watching soccer, but I pretty much only follow it closely when the World Cup is on. In case you were wondering, yes, my background is English.
9. Do you believe in an afterlife?
10. Do you have any religious or spiritual beliefs?
I’d prefer not discuss religion on this blog; I don’t really like to discuss it except with close friends/family.
11. What is your opinion on the Zimmerman/Trayvon case?
I don’t know the full details, and perhaps the evidence simply isn’t there to convict Zimmerman given his acquittal, but man it sure seems to reflect some blatant racism in American culture (not that we’re any better over here).
Answer the questions (lauren):
1) What book would you recommend for me to read and why?
The Secret History by Donna Tartt. Incredibly well-written yet easy to read, a simple narrative but layered characterisation, and simply a very rewarding read. Highly recommended.
2) What is your favourite post you’ve written on your blog and why?
See question 5 above 🙂
3) Star Wars v.s Star Trek-which is best?
I used to be a massive Star Wars fan when I was younger (as is true of pretty much everyone), so I still have to give it the nod, but I’m gradually exploring Star Trek so that may change – watching Deep Space Nine (slowly) at the moment.
4) Who would play you in the film version of your life?
I can’t really think of a great answer to this so I’ll just go with Joseph Gordon-Levitt; he doesn’t look much like me but he doesn’t look completely different either. Also he’s a great actor, duh.
5) What tv show/film do you watch when you’re feeling down?
6) What’s your favourite Disney film?
Assuming Pixar films count, Toy Story 3.
7) What song sums up the day you’ve had today?
8) Do you believe in fate or free will?
Free will, mostly, though my thoughts on this are shakier than when I was studying Philosophy at uni.
9) Are you a cynic, optimistic or realist when it comes to life?
10) Do you believe in ghosts?
11) What film are you looking forward to seeing next?
There’s actually four films being released next week that I’m eagerly anticipating – The Conjuring, Only God Forgives, This Is The End and, most of all, Before Midnight.
11 Bloggers I’m Nominating:
- The Cinema Monster
- The Horror Online
- Morrighan’s Muse
- On The Screen Reviews
11 Questions to Answer:
- What’s your most vivid memory from your childhood?
- What’s your favourite item of clothing?
- What’s the best film you’ve seen this year?
- If you could only live in one country for the rest of your life, where would it be?
- What’s your favourite trashy television show?
- What’s your favourite NON-trashy television show?
- Do you own any pet(s)? Details!
- What made you want to start blogging?
- What’s the best meal you can cook/make?
- What are your top five albums of all time?
- Seeded or American mustard?
Thanks again to both jpthorn and Lauren for the nominations!
I was also nominated (over a month ago! I’m slack, I know) for both the Family Award and Sunshine Blogger Award by Natasha Harmer from Films and Things – thanks! (Updated: vinnieh has also nominated me for the Family Award as well). The rules for the Sunshine award are below:
- Use the award logo in this post.
- Link to the person who nominated you.
- Write ten “pieces of information about myself.”
- Nominate ten fellow bloggers ‘who positively and creatively inspire others in the blogosphere.’
- Leave a comment on the nominees’ blogs to tell them about the award.
I could just recycle pieces of information from the Liebster Award, but that would be no fun! So here are ten new pieces of information:
- I hate my hair. It’s incredibly thick and wavy and basically won’t do anything I want it to do.
- I have a third nipple! It’s passed down from my dad’s side of the family.
- I don’t really do any kind of exercise and I should probably do something about that.
- I have a younger brother, who lives in Sydney.
- The first DVDs I ever bought were Kill Bills, The Godfather Part 2, and Se7en.
- I would be a foodie if I had more money. As is, I get to go to a fancy restaurant once every couple months and I love every minute of it.
- I’ve only been overseas twice – once to Japan, for a holiday, another time to Spain, to play cards.
- I want to live overseas, at least for a while.
- I have a Shitzu-Lhasa Apso (well, technically she’s my partner’s). She is the best dog.
- My favourite book (at the moment, anyway) is Cormac MacCarthy’s The Road.
- Display the award logo on your blog.
- Link back to the person who nominated you.
- Nominate 10 bloggers deserving of the award & notify them
10 Nominated Bloggers (for both Awards):