When I started ccpopculture roughly six months ago, I set myself the goal of ensuring every post was exactly 200 words. This was for a few reasons:
- It would hopefully avoid my tendency to be overly verbose; too often I’ve had a good idea for an article and abandoned many thousand words in,
- it would give my blog a “hook,”
- and, most importantly, it would be a blog that I’d read.
The experiment has gone pretty well. The restriction of the word limit has – as the cliché goes – bred creativity. It’s also been a problem: writing in detail about an album, or music festival, or an episode of Game of Thrones is truly difficult with so few words. With that in mind, I thought I’d use this post to announce some changes. While, for the most part, I’ll stick to 200 words, I’m introducing two features that’ll hopefully stick around:
- Extended Cut: longer posts for more substantial ideas. Thinking in the vicinity of a thousand words.
- Double Feature: 400 words considering and contrasting two items of pop culture. I’m mostly thinking film – original vs sequel or remake, that sort of thing.
- Plus, “new” name!
Thoughts on these features are appreciated!